Friday 4 May 2012

Too scared to speak?

I have discovered something interesting since deciding to write this blog. There have been almost 300 page views and yet only one comment.

I have heard from more than one person that they are fearful to comment. This is EXACTLY why I am doing this. It is absolutely wrong that any parent should feel unable to stand up for their child out of fear of some type of backlash! 


How many incidents are going unreported because parents are afraid? How many parents are sending their children with special needs to school each day hoping and praying that they will return home safe and sound?


I understand that feeling. When I look off my balcony I can see the road leading to my sons school.I have, for quite some time, felt nauseous at the sound of ambulances speeding in that direction.That underlying fear that maybe something has happened. People who know me are aware that I am not a 'worrier'. But sometimes when promises have been made and broken regarding your child's safety at school you can't help it.


I believe that we, as parents/caregivers CAN have a loud voice. There are ways to make people hear us and to make changes to the system. But we MUST speak up. I have had to go to great lengths in the last several weeks to ensure that my voice has been heard. I have spoken, not only for my son, but for every child with special needs in our school system.


I want to say that posts on this blog can be made anonymously(I just changed that setting) or under the drop down menu where it says name you can use a first name only, or a fake name if you choose. But please post!!



No comments:

Post a Comment